Storage sense can assist you with getting free of garbage documents when you’re running low on space, and in this guide, we demonstrate to you best practices to utilize the element in the Windows 10
On Windows 10, when your device starts to run out of space, you can empty the recycle bin and delete temporary files to free up space using a number of tools, including Disk Cleanup.
How to enable Storage sense on Windows 10
On Windows 10, enabling Storage Sense is a straightforward process:
Once you’ve completed these steps, Windows 10 will auto delete junk files on your device, including temporary files, older recycle bin items, and those files in the Downloads folder that haven’t changed in the last month.
Although it might be obvious for many users, if you need to free up more space, and you have large files that have been in the recycle bin for less than a month, you’ll need to delete them manually or empty the bin completely.
Unfortunately, Storage sense doesn’t remove everything you don’t need. Some temporary files, Windows Update logs, and other files will remain on your PC.
In the case, you must delete all temporary files; you can use this guide to set up Disk Cleanup to remove temporary files and certain other files automatically.
How to configure Storage sense settings on Windows 10
It’s also possible to pick the specific files you want Storage sense to delete automatically from your device, using these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on System.
- Click on Storage.
- Click the Change how we free up space link.
- Under “Temporary Files,” check the items you want to delete, including:
- Delete temporary files that my apps aren’t using.
- Delete files that have been in the recycle bin for over 30 days.
- Delete files in the Downloads folder that haven’t changed in 30 days.
- Under “Free up space now,” you can also select the option to delete the previous installation of Windows 10. However, this option is only available after installing a new version of the OS.
After completing these steps, you can click the Clean now button to free up space immediately. If you do not, simply make sure to select the items you want Storage sense to delete, and close the Settings app.